This product has been replaced by the Downlight Mitt Product, to comply with new Australian Standards. AS/NZS 5110 / AS/NZS 60598
A Downlight cover that can be used to make all IC rated LED downlight fittings into a fire rated and sound proofed recessed lighting luminaire. When luminaire flexibility and cost is important…
Downlight Mitt 2 Hour fire rated LED Downlight Cover
Downlight Mitt fire rated LED downlight cover with minimal ventilation to retrofit over existing LED recessed lighting products as well as small in-ceiling speaker products.
With LED lighting our covers provide:
- More breathing space than Tincan fire rating solutions.
- Allows more flexibility in the LED you can use, and a cheaper solution than complete Tincan LED fire rating solutions
- An install from below the ceiling up a 90mm cut-out
Introducing the Efficiency Matrix affordable downlight barrier product, the Downlight Mitt, which is a sealed downlight cover/in-ceiling speaker cover that can be retrofitted over existing LED fittings that must be IC Rated. Installed from below the ceiling, this cover includes a fire rating and sound proofing, and its material has a certified R-value for insulation.
This thermal image shows a fitting with no insulation around an installed Basic Mitt Downlight cover. The recessed luminaire was not turned on for 24 hours, and the outside temperature was 10˚C. The ambient temperature in the room was 22˚C. Insulation can now be installed right to the bottom of the downlight cover but not on top. As you can see, the cover is doing its job in insulating the fitting.
5% Gaps in insulation can equate to a 30% Reduction in insulation effectiveness.
Plastic, Cardboard and Metal Downlight covers just don’t compare!
Key Features include:
- A transformer holder.
- Are made from a proven insulative material.
- Sound proofing (enabling RW34 Sound Proof Rooms)
- Fire Rated up to 2 hours (material expands towards a fire unlike other products)
- Complies with Standard AS 1530 Part 4
- Complies with Bush Fire Standard AS 3959 – outside Eaves and Pergolas
- Installable from below the ceiling, together with an electronic transformer up to a 90mm hole, or a hole as small as 75mm when installing without the electronic transformer.
- Reduced Draught effect when mounted on ventilated fittings
- Ventilation for 50W Dichroic, ideally for use with non-ventilated fittings, for energy efficiency, but also usable with ventilated fittings in commercial applications, where sound proofing or a fire rating may be needed
Halogen Downlights turn your ceiling into Swiss cheese allowing hot air during winter to rise into the roof-space which equates to energy loss, and in summer allowing hot air in your roof-space to expand downward into your living areas.
The Downlight Mitt is a downlight cover retrofit product which focuses on just getting the job done affordably. Our Downlight covers are made out of Rockwool and an intumescent material (Unexpanded Graphite), and they have an R-value built into their material, as do the Loft Mitt and Downlight Mitt products.
Installation of our downlight covers can be done from above or below the ceiling. Mastic must be used when installing from above. Take a look at our support page for information on restrictions.
The Basic Mitt is an affordable downlight cover to reduce draughts and improve R-value consistency of insulation, while providing a fire rating and sound proofing around the fitting.
Installation Demonstration Video
allowscriptaccess=”always” allowfullscreen=”allowfullscreen” />
Refer to Specifications for Basic Mitt installation Recommendations.